It’s been a while since I posted and this is due to 2 factors; 1) It’s still bloody cold up here and the idea of a test drive is just pleasant fantasy at this juncture and, 2) I was busy trying to purchase a car.
After long consideration and consultation with Evelyn, we decided to take a serious look at the Alfa Spider we had seen recently. We discussed the car with the salesman and suggested an offer of $22,000.00. He seemed agreeable to this so we asked for a Pre-Purchase Inspection. I found a local Alfa guy who said he’d contact the seller and take a look at it for me. And so I waited.
And waited. After 2 weeks I phoned the salesman and he told me that 2 days after we had last viewed the car (and asked for the PPI) he’d sold it at full price to an interested party. I can’t complain about the sale – that’s business – but I’m a little miffed that he had me waiting for a PPI that would never happen and simply left me to get back in touch with him at my convenience.
He told me that the Duetto was still available, but in speaking with him previously (when the later model car was still on offer) he suggested that it needed some work and wasn’t as much a “driver” as the other. So – I’m going to beg off this one for the time being. If it is still there when the salt is off the roads I’ll see about taking it for a test drive. But, in the meantime, I’m back to the drawing board on my search. I do hope to view a Fiat 1200 Spyder next weekend – though again, a test drive is out of the question…